Follow the steps provided in this article to create or restore a QuickBooks Portable Company file.
What is a QuickBooks Desktop portable company file?
- A portable file is a copy of your QuickBooks company file that you can transfer over a mail any portable drive. It has lighter size than your QuickBooks company files.
- You can’t include letters, logos, images and templates in the QuickBooks portable company file.
- The transaction log file is also not included in this file
- The file extension for QuickBooks Portable Company file is .QBM.
- This file can be used to resolve the data damages on your system because the QuickBooks desktop indexes data again after restoring a QuickBooks company file.
Before you move on to the steps to create or restore a QuickBooks portable company file, there are certain points that you should keep in your mind:
- Your QuickBooks should be updated to the latest version.
- You should have the administrator rights to make or restore a portable file. If you are sharing a portable file to anyone, the person will be able to make changes in that same file.
- If you are sharing the file to your accountant then we recommend you to share an accountant’s copy instead of portable file.
How To Create or Restore a Portable Company File
Create A Portable Company File
- From the main menu of QuickBooks, go to File > Create Copy.
- Select the Portable company file option and then click on Next.
- Choose the folder location where you want to save the copy and then click on Save.
- Click on OK.
Restore Portable Company File
- From the main menu of QuickBooks, go to File > Open or Restore Company.
- Select theRestore a portable fileoption and then click onNext
- Select the portable copy you have created and then click onOpen
- Browse to the location where you want to save the restored file and click on Next.
- Click on Save.
|Loan Manager, FAM or QuickBooks Statement Writer information is not restored with the portable file. If you have restored a portable file but the file is not located on local system then you won’t be able to run the Loan manager, Fixed Asset Manager or QuickBooks Statement Writer information. In such situations, you will have to copy the file to the current system and then start working on it. Loan Manager:Create a copy of .lmr file, which is located in the same folder where you restored your portable company file. Fixed Asset Manager: Copy all the files from the folder specified below to the current location of your company file then restore it. QuickBooks 2018: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FAM17\clientsQuickBooks 2017: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FAM16\clientsQuickBooks 2016: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FAM15\clients|
Unable To Create Or Restore A Portable Company File
If you are unable to create or restore a portable file as you are having some errors while doing it then you can resolve it by following the below-mentioned steps:
Solution 1: Copy The QuickBooks Company File On The Desktop
- Go to the folder where your portable file is saved.
- Locate and right-click on the.qbm file and select Copy from the drop-down options.
- Go to the desktop and paste the file there by pressing CTRL + V.
- Press and hold the CTRL key and double click on the QuickBooks icon to get the No Company Open.
- Try to create or restore the portable file again.
Solution 2: Try ToWork On ASample Company File
- Click on Open a Sample Company File from the No Company Open window.
- Create a portable sample company file and save it on your desktop.
- From the main menu of QuickBooks, go to File > Close Company/Log off.
- Try to restore the sample file that your have just created
If you are able to restore the sample portable file then it means your portable file is damaged. If the sample portable file also throws the same error then it means your QuickBooks installation is damaged and you have to reinstall QuickBooks software using a fresh source.
Technical Support For QuickBooks Company File
The steps should be helpful for you in creating or restoring a QuickBooks Portable Company File. You can also resolve the errors or issues that you get while creating or restoring a portable file by following the steps provided in this article. However, as we have already said that you might be facing the error because your QuickBooks installation is damaged and it is not possible to create or restore a portable file in the same installation. You may require technical support for this issue and you can get it by dialing our toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1800-801-4164. The moment you call us, you will be directly connected to one of our ProAdvisor who will look into your matter and provide you required support.