Moving a QuickBooks company file is beneficial in many ways. Furthermore, it does not change any of your rights provided by QB Desktop license as you can easily access the company file on other systems. Whenever your current system shuts down accidentally, or you wish to update your PC, moving a company file proves to be a great option. QuickBooks provides one simple way to move the company file or product file. You can use the Migrator Tool section to understand this.
Thing To Remember While Moving A Company File
- The destination computer must have the QuickBooks software installed on it.
- Sometimes, the names of the company files may confuse the users. To avoid this, change the name of the company name before you transport it to another system.
- Avoid overwriting the company file. You can change the name of the company file before restoring it. Overwriting can lead to data loss.
- In case you use the QB payroll feature on your current system, make sure you download the recent Payroll tax table update when you move your company file to another system.
Different Methods To Move QuickBooks Company File To Another System
Create A Backup For Your Company File And Then Restore It
- Get the Backup process done for your company file on the current PC.
- Get this backup file transported to the destination computer.
- You can restore the file here.
Steps To Restore Customer Templates And Form Absent From A Restored File
Users can restore customer templates and forms separately if you need them. Generally, the information from the add-ons should not be part of the backup file based on their location. To restore the custom templates and forms, you can do the following:
Navigate to the Restored_CompanyName_Files on the destination system and copy all the required files. You can copy anything from the below-given options in the restored company file.
|QuickBooks Letters and Templates||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\QuickBooks Letter Templates|
|Printer Setting (PrintEng.ini, wpr.ini, and QBPrint.qbp)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]|
|Spell Checker (spell.ini and UserDictionary.tlx)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]|
|Financial Statement Designer (FSD clients)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FSD\Clients Note: For Windows 7, the path is C:\Program Data\Intuit\|
|Financial Statement Designer (FSD data)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\Components\FSD\Data|
|Cash Flow Projector (.cfp)||[Company Name].qbw|
|Business Planner (.bpw)||[Company Name].qbw|
|Loan Manager (.lmr)||[Company Name].qbw|
Transport The Complete QuickBooks Data Folder
The QB Company file can be moved without creating a backup file. This can be done by transporting the entire QB data folder to the destination computer. Moving the data folder does not harm your database. Sometimes, some subfolders don’t get transferred. However, they can be restored later.
- To start with, you have to know the company file location first. When the company file is active, you can press the F2 to get the location of the company file. Check that location and make a note of it for your future references. If the company file is closed, you can know this by opening QB. If you see the file path in the No company window, it means that the QB company file is closed.
- Navigate to the location folder and right tap on it. Click on Copy from the dropdown.
- Paste the folder in the destination system by networking the drive.
- Start the QB and rerun the company file.
Use Intuit Data Protect To Restore The Company File
Intuit Data Protect (IDP) is the tool provided by Intuit that helps you restore the company files with ease. But, it does not support the third party files.
- Create a backup of the company file on the source computer.
- Download the IDP tool on the destination computer and log in to that.
- You will get the option to restore the file there.
The below-given files can be moved and restored with Intuit Data Protect:
Files that are usually stored in the QB data folder:
- Logos and images files
- Transaction log (.tlg) files
- Network data (.nd) files
- Cash Flow Projector (.cfp) files
- Loan Manager (.lmr) files
- Business Planner (.bpw) files (QuickBooks Desktop Premier and Enterprise only)
Files that are stored to the folders other than QB data folder (including Add-ons):
- QuickBooks letters and templates
- Spell checker
- Fixed Asset Manager
- Printer setting (These files can be recreated by QuickBooks)
- QuickBooks Statement Writer (Premier Accountant and Enterprise only)
Contact QuickBooks Customer Support Team
Whenever you plan to move the QuickBooks company file from one computer to another, the given steps will be useful. You can follow the most convenient method depending on the situation. If you face any issues while doing so, you can take help from the QB tech support team of Dialsupportnumber. To connect with them, you can dial the toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1866-644-7717. You can also consult this through the QuickBooks live chat service.